Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Rasa Upma / Instant Upma with Leftover Rasam



My Mom invented this rasa upma during my childhood, I could say. While doing the so called "night study", I used to pester her to make something just to satisfy my late night hunger. She would do some magic and come up with a plate of hot rasa upma. Later she described us how she exactly made that tangy, spicy upma with the leftover rasam.!!! We requested her many times to make this special upma for us. With no chutneys or sides too, this upma tastes delicious and melts in your mouth. 

I decided to make this Rasa Upma today with my leftover tomato jeera rasam. It truly reminded me of my mom and my school days. 

Ingredients

Sooji / Rava - 1 cup
Leftover Rasam - Between 2 to 3 cups
Water - A Cup
Hing - 1 Dash
Mustard Seeds - 2 tsp
Peanuts / Kadalai - 1 handful
Urad Dal - 1 tsp
Channa Dal - 1 tsp
Curry Leaves - One Small Stick
Dry Red Chillies - 2 big ones
Salt - Little required as the leftover rasam itself contains good amount of salt
Oil - 1 tbsp

Method

  • In a cooking vessel, add oil and heat it on medium flame. When heated, add hing,mustard seeds into the oil. When they sputter, add peanuts and fry them on medium flame.
  • Add urad dal, channa dal, curry leaves, dry red chillies into the oil and finish the tempering process.
  • Pour the leftover rasam totally into the cooking vessel with a cup of water and allow them to boil.
  • Add little salt if required. After 4 - 5 minutes, slowly add the roasted rava into the kadai. 
  • Let it cook on low flame till the rava gets cooked and blends well with the leftover rasam.
  • After its done, enjoy a plate of  hot rasam upma and stop worrying about leftover rasam. In fact, I started making little more rasam during mealtime especially to make this rasa upma.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...