The biggest challenge for moms like me is deciding what to make for the next meal.Considering all the factors like a healthy option, liked by kids, less preparation time, easy process, its a bit more tough job for any responsible mom. Who says that feeding a family is easy? Mind should constantly think of healthy options and should hunt for the same. Of course, there is a saying " We need food to live but not live to eat food". But in this polluted atmosphere, seeing hundreds of infections and diseases, its essential to focus on what we eat. During this daily hunt, i came across another healthy option to satiate my mind through my good friend hema. She offered me a healthy, tasty, sprouted horse gram dosa / Kollu Dosa grinded with red bell pepper and other ingredients. Dosas were truly delicious and I tried them in my kitchen too. My family loved the crispy golden dosas and the texture somehow reminds me of the pesarattu texture. I customized the dosa recipe slightly to our tastes and tried both plain dosas as well as dosas with carrot and onion. Dear bloggers, you can add this recipe confidently in your healthy recipe book.
Most Protein Rich Lentil found on the Planet
Low fat and high carbohydrate content
Lower Cholestrol Level
Slow digestible starch helps obesity and diabetic patients
Anti fungal, anti oxidant.
Some Side Effects of Kollu / Horse Gram
Should drink plenty of water as it generates lot of heat
Should be avoided by pregnant women
Excess of horse gram / Kollu can cause bile production.
Sprouted Horse Gram / Kollu - 2 Cups
Urad Dal - 1 Cup
Idly Rice - 1 Cup
Fenugreek Seeds - 2 tsp
Sabudana Seeds - 1 tbsp
Red Poha / Red Aval - 1 tbsp
Jeera / Cumin Seeds - 1 tsp
Ginger - 1 small cube
Dry Red Chillies - 4 or 5
Hing - As Required
Ripe Red Bell Pepper - 1 Big
- Wash and soak the Horse gram in water for 4-5 hours. Drain the water and make sprouts with the horse gram. It might take atleast a day or two to see some good sprouts.
- Soak the other ingredients in water for 4-5 hours and grind them along with the sprouted horse gram in a mixer grinder. Add little water at intervals while grinding and make a smooth batter.
- Add hing and required amount of salt to the batter and mix them well.
- Keep the dosa batter outside for fermentation. This horsegram batter gets fermented quickly like pesarattu batter. So calculate the time accordingly and prepare the dosas. Otherwise store the batter in the refrigerator.
- Before making the dosas, add little water to the batter and mix well.
- In a heated dosa pan, pour a cup of the dosa batter and spread the evenly on all sides. Apply drops of oil on all sides and fry them on medium heat. Flip them to the other side and fry again.
- Serve the dosas with a side of spicy onion chutney.
- Soak all the lentils and rice together and grind them together for this dosa.
- Addition of a ripe red bell pepper enhances the taste of the dosa greatly and its a healthy addition too.
- If you wish, you can add some grated carrot,onion and coriander leaves on one side of the dosa and fry. Kids specially love this addition as its very colourful.