Monday, February 27, 2012

Pal Kova / Theratti Pal / Thiratti Pal - Using Ricotta Cheese

Pal Kova, also called as Theratti Pal in Tamil is a creamy milk sweet made with thick milk, jaggery or sugar and some melted butter or ghee. Out of all Pal Kova I tasted, Aavin Palkova stands the best. Its always tricky for me to understand how they arrive at the unique taste of  Aavin Palkova and howmuchever I try, my version would not taste the same. But this time, I used my brain so much to come closer to that version. I made this specially for one of my friend Preetha's Seemandham / Baby Shower. I used the combination of both sugar and jaggery while making this Pal Kova so as to get the brownish colour. Process is much simpler as I used only microwave for my entire cooking. This basic idea was originally given by my friend Soundarya couple of years back..I customized little bit and tried her method and the final result was awesome.
Ingredients
Ricotta Cheese - 32 Oz ( Used Part Skim 32 Oz / 2 lb ) or 5 Cup
Fat Free Milk Powder - 2 packets / 3 Cup
Condensed Milk Can - 1
Powdered Jaggery - 1 Cup
1% Milk - 1 Cup
Melted Ghee - 1 Oz Bar / 3/4th of a cup
Cardamom Powder / Elachi Powder - 2 tsp
Roasted Cashew nuts - 1 Handful to decorate.
Method
  • In a big deep glass vessel or any deep microwave vessel, add all the ingredients except cardamom powder and cashew nuts and mix them thoroughly.
  • Cook them on high in microwave for about 5-6 minutes. Open the microwave and stir them on all sides.
  • Continue the process for another 3 to 4 times. Every time stir the PalKova and you would notice the Kova changing to light brownish colour and getting closer to a thick consistency.
  • When the Kova comes to the actual semi solid state, add the cardamom powder and mix well.
  • Microwave for another 1-2 minutes and decorate with roasted cashews.
Tips / Variations
  • Instead of Sweet Condensed Milk you can add sugar directly.
  • Instead of fat free versions, you can very well make it with whole milk Ricotta Cheese and milk powder to achieve a more richer taste.
  • Don't microwave till the kova gets completely dry. In order to obtain the right kova taste, try to retain some moisture in the Pal Kova.

5 comments:

  1. Vidhya, this recipe is a gret hit with my STL friends. however, i tried your earlier version without jaggery. its good to have it in your blog so i need not call you for the recipe anytime later !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hhi Vidya, I come here while searching for Kova recipes with Ricotta Cheese. This is nice... Good to know you and Glad to join you...


    -Mythreyi
    Yum! Yum! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Mythreyi,

    Thanks for coming to my food blog and thanks for your comments..Checked your food blog too and its awesome. Nice to know you and let us share good recipes...

    Will keep checking yours...
    Vidhya

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are big fans of your Thiratti Pal recipe as Lakshmi(your sister) makes this recipe and shares with us.I asked Lakshmi to share this wonderful recipe so that i can make this for Diwali, and i got the chance to read your blog.
    Wonderful recipes and i am inspired to make a lot of them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi

    I dont use microwave. can I follow the same procedure on stove top?

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...