Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Gundu Urulaikizhangu Fry / Small Baby Potato Fry / Chinna Urulaikizhangu Curry


"Gundu Urulaikizhangu curry" makes every kid happy and in fact, my blog will not be complete without my favourite childhood recipe. Whenever my eyes get a glimpse of these yummy golden baby potatoes during my vegetable shopping, I grab a small bunch of these tiny potatoes and make this curry. Sometimes, I would fix any main dish just to go with this small potato curry in my kitchen. Of course, I made my kids too love this curry!!! 

Ingredients
Small Golden Potatoes - 15 or 18.
Oil - 2 tbsp 
Mustard Seeds - 2 tsp
Urad Dal / Ulutham Paruppu - 3 tsp 
Hing / Asafoetida - 1 Dash
Turmeric Powder - 1 tsp
Sambar Powder - 2 tsp
Red Chili Powder - 2 tsp
Dhaniya Powder / Coriander Powder - 1 tsp ( Optional ) ( If you want to taste this curry only with the chili taste, you can plug this off )
Salt - To Taste
Curry Leaves - 5 or 6 

Method
  • Cook the golden potatoes with the skin. After its cooked, peel off the skin and cut them into halves if the size is considerably bigger. If its tiny, fry the potato as it is.
  • First add the oil in the frying pan. When its heated, add the Hing, mustard seeds, urad dal, curry leaves in succession.
  • Add all the peeled potatoes into the pan now. Add all the powders and requires amount of salt into the pan.
  • Gently coat all the potatoes with the powders and fry them uniformly. For 2 minutes, just close the lid and allow them to get cooked.
  • Then fry them without lid on medium flame till you get crispy, golden potatoes. Add little more oil if required while frying them. If you use a non-stick pan, the amount of oil for frying would be less. 


1 comment:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...