Thursday, September 20, 2012

Happy Ganesha Chathurthi / Ganesh Chavithi / Vinayaka Chathurthi - Festival


Wishing you all my dear friends, family and my dearest bloggers a very Happy Ganesha Chathurthi / Chavithi.

Lord Ganesha, who is the supreme God is well known for wisdom, prosperity, good fortune and he is being worshipped first before starting any new venture. Ganesha Chaturthi / Chavithi is a Hindu festival which is celebrated all over India on the occasion of Lord Ganesha's Birthday. This festival generally falls between August and September.  In some parts of India, this festival is celebrated for 10 days and a grand immersion festival is being celebrated on the last day of Ganesh festival.
 
Hope you all would have celebrated Ganesha Chathurthi / Chavithi in a grand manner in your homes with wonderful decorations and yummy prasadams. We also celebrated the festival with lots of happiness, devotion, elaborate pooja and yummy prasadams. Out of all the festivals, I love this festival so much mainly due to the tasty modhagam / Kozhakattais. Since childhood, I have been a big fan of this Kozhakkatai and Ganesha is my favorite God. My mom used to make different varieties of Modhagams on that day and my father used to decorate Lord Ganesha and pooja place and perform the pooja elaborately.
 
In our household, we prepare 5 or 7 varieties of prasadams and offer to Lord Ganesha. This time I prepared three types of Kozhakkattai, Palaarthi, Pappu arathi, undrallu, Chickpeas sundal. I always try to include both andhra and tamilian style prasadams in every festival to balance both my side and my husband's. 
 
I will post the recipes of the prasadams in my following posts.
 
My Husband made a home made ganesha using turmeric powder, sandal powder and rice flour. Its really difficult for us to take out the Ganesha as we love this cute little ganesha so much..
 

Powerful Ganesha Mantra

"Gajananam Bhoota Ganadi Sevitam,
Kapittha Jambu phalasara bhakshitam
Umasutam Shoka Vinasha karanam
Namami Vighneswara pada pankajam"
 

Meaning

"Oh Elephant-faced, worshiped by the existing beings, of all living beings, tasting the elephant apple (kaith) and jambolana (jamun), the Son of Uma, destroyer of grief, I bow to the lotus feet".
 
Will post the recipes of Sweet / Salt Kozhakkatai, Undrallu, Pal arathi, Pappu Arathi, Chickpeas sundal in my following posts very soon.

1 comment:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...