Semiya Payasam / Vermicelli Payasam in one of the favourites in my family. Though we all mostly make this sweet during festivals and special occasions, the preparation itself makes a normal day so special.!! Semiya Payasam is made by roasting the vermicelli with ghee, slowly cooked and simmered in milk and sugar, flavoured with crushed cardamom powder and little saffron and garnished with ghee roasted cashew nuts. It tastes heavenly if made using whole milk. As the process is simpler, its easy to make a normal day into a very special day....Its all in our hands!!! Have a beautiful day with a cup of sweet semiya payasam.
Semiya / Vermicelli - 1 cups
Milk - 4-5 cups ( Used 2% Milk )
Sugar - 3/4 th of a cup
Cardamom Powder - 1 tsp
Saffron - 1 pinch ( Optional )
Ghee - 2 tsp
Cashew nuts - 8-10 ghee roasted
- In a kadai / cooking vessel, add a tsp of ghee and roast the cashew nuts first and keep them aside. Then add another tsp of ghee and roast the vermicelli till it turns golden colour.
- When you get a nice aroma, add enough water to cook the vermicelli.
- When its well cooked, add milk,saffron and sugar and allow them to cook for another 5-6 minutes.
- Don't forget to stir the payasam once a while.
- Add cardamom powder and roasted cashew nuts to the Payasam.
- You can have this Payasam either warm or chilled.
- Finally add the roasted cashew nuts to the Payasam and enjoy.
Tips / Note
Vermicelli payasam thickens after a while as the vermicelli absorbs most of the milk. Also, it gets thickened when its refrigerated. So, just before serving add warm milk to the Payasam and mix them well and serve.
You can add roasted raisins to the Payasam along with cashew nuts.